Monday, October 18, 2010

Crazy Week...

If I could use one word to describe last week it would be a simple choice: CRAZY!  This was fueled by new students, substitute teachers/aids, meetings, field trips, parents, and illness.

Monday was the most frantic and frustrating day of the week.  I had a sick student who was sent to school, even though her illness was known.  I called home at 9:00, and was told that she would be picked up soon.  By 10:00, the office Secretary called home again, and was told that my student would be picked up soon.  Finally, at 11:15, she was picked up.  My entire classroom had been contaminated with deification.  Midway through our calendar/circle time at 10:30 I was left with the option to have all of my non-ill students chauffeured outside in an effort to reduce the risk of contamination and/or spread of the sickness.

At approximately 11:00 on Monday, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with a new student and her mother.  This student does not have an IEP and has never been to school before.  I am currently working with the General Education Kindergarten Teacher to create a program that allows her to be in the classroom, and supervised by an assistant.  Her first day of school was Thursday, and although she appeared to be overwhelmed, she adjusted well and (I was recently told) enjoys coming to school each day!  The first three days of the student's school year we were allowed to pay a substitute to take the place of an assistant, who then shadowed the new student offering support and/or direction when needed.

Also on Monday, I had a student's mom show up (unannounced) to observe her son on the playground.  Not a problem, I would just like to be made aware in advance so that I can prompt the parent on how to properly "observe" with no interference...

Tuesday was a better day, I attended a CDS Networking meeting with fellow CD teachers (see blog titled "Positive Attitude").

Wednesday was a little off because I had two assistant subs., and some of my students felt the need to manipulate and take advantage of the sub.'s naivety to their abilities.  I felt very motivated to remain positive all day long, and worked on not saying "no" to my students.  When working to not use the word no, I have found that it helps you to remain positive and sets a good example for students (especially students who overuse the word in an inappropriate fashion).

Thursday was a better day!  New student did well, despite being very inexperienced socially, and when faced with situations of structure.  Instituted a "Chance Card" reward system earlier in the week with one of my students who has trouble controlling his body and words.  The chance card system requires him to carry a clipboard with three chance cards and a description as to what the student is working toward and how they can achieve this goal.  Any adult that comes into contact with the student and/or observes inappropriate behavior has the option to turn a chance card over.  If one chance card remains flipped up at the end of a specific amount of time the student gets their reward.  It acts as a visual reminder for the student (they must ALWAYS have their clipboard with them), and a motivational tool.  My student has been WONDERFUL this week!  I love the chance card system!

Friday was a no-pressure theme day.  We talked about pumpkins, looked at pictures of their various stages of growth, created a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern craft, and ate pumpkin torte.  We also popped popcorn in a stir crazy machine, and ate popcorn while watching Winne the Pooh's Boo To You movie at the end of the day.  The kids appeared to love all of the experiences and lessons as they were presented in a very sensory diet manner.

Overall, a good week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment