Sunday, September 26, 2010

What to do?

The past week went very well.  I feel as though I finally have a schedule that I am able to follow, as well as organization that facilitates academic instruction.  I have arranged all of the materials used in the Reading Mastery, Distar Arithmetic, and Early Literacy Skill Builders into bins along with lesson plans for each individual (asistants and myself) to follow.

Since recieving the Smartboard I have discovered, through the help of a coworker, that it works with a projector.  The projector has been ordered, but I now realize that I will have to reconfigure the arrangement of my classroom.  More details to follow.

Now to address the name of my post: "What to do?"  My star behavior management plan has been working well, the students are understanding what they need to do in order to earn a star.  We are contantly encouraging and reinforcing the idea of good behavior to the students.  Unfortunatley, I have one student who understands the concept, but does not respond well to unstructured activities.  Because of this, recess is a very difficult senario for him.  Once this week he was sent in from lunch recess early for injuring a fellow student on the playground.  My response was to have the student sit down for a chat with the school principal.  I listened outside the door as the principal explained in a simple yet firm way correct vs. incorrect behavior when playing with friends.  My student was unresponsive, but later apologized to me for his outburst at recess.  This student did not recieve five stars for the day, could not play with his friends, and appeared to be motivated the following day to correct his behavior.  However, the very next day, once again there was trouble at recess.

After numerous talks, constant encouragement, repremands, and the inability to earn his reward at the end of the day, his behavior is still unchanged.  Now, I'm just wondering what I should do.  Hopefully working with the students this week will lead me to a solution.  I'm thinking the possibility of a check list or social story, but we will have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment